Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Steamed Chicken

Maybe this is a common concept to a lot of people -- but it never has been for me so I thought I'd share. This is the problem -- lots of recipes call for cooked, shredded chicken, and as far as I know -- you boil it to get it cooked. I actually really don't like boiled chicken -- I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it's always on the rubbery side and sort of stinky to me. If I've thought ahead -- my prefered method would be to slow-cook chicken breasts in the crock pot to have nice juicy tender chicken for my recipes. But I hardly ever think that ahead: so this is the solution: I've been steaming it in my veggie steamer -- and as long as you get it out in time, it's nice and juicy still, and easier to work with -- AND I LIKE IT!




I'm sure it would also work in one of these types: in fact a friend from Ohio is the one who planted the idea in my head and she always used this on all chicken she ever ate.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

I must not understand the concept of steaming. How does this work? Water doesn't cover the chicken?

Kallie said...

nope -- water doesn't cover it -- the steam from the small amt of water in the bottom rises up and cooks it. of course I photoed my pan without the lid (an integral part) if that would make more sense to you...